Google Wallet Overview
Updated 1/28/2019: Google Wallet has been discontinued as a standalone service. It is now part of Google Pay (pay.google.com). We therefore will no longer update this review.
Launched in September 2011, Google Wallet (google.com/wallet) is a free digital wallet app provided by Google. Google Wallet is available for Android phones and iPhones, and it allows customers to send money to each other via the app or a Gmail account. Google Wallet previously enabled users to check out at physical locations, but it has since migrated this feature to its “Android Pay” product. Android Pay uses NFC technology to enable customers with compatible hardware to “tap and pay” at the point of sale. It appears that Google Wallet has fully shifted its focus to peer-to-peer payments.
Before March 2015, Google Wallet was incompatible with T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T phones due to the competing Softcard app offered by those wireless carriers. Now that Softcard has been retired, Google Wallet will come preinstalled on all Android phones and be compatible with all carriers. This arrangement may change with the launch of Samsung Pay, a mobile wallet app from smartphone manufacturer Samsung, or the adoption of Android Pay.
- Sales & Marketing: Google Wallet is available as a free download and does not advertise any deceptive rates.
- Costs & Contract: Google Wallet is a free service for non-business users and sole proprietors.
- Complaints & Service: Google Wallet has received more than 40 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Google Wallet does not have a profile with the Better Business Bureau.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Avoided Fund Holds With Google Wallet
Google Wallet Statement Analyzer
Find hidden fees, pricing errors, and overcharges in your Google Wallet merchant account statement. Not with Google Wallet? That's ok, we can find excessive fees in any credit card processing statement. We've already found $1,156,834 in hidden fees this year! Submit a recent statement to try it out for free!
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.