Agree with our rating?
Leave a comment below
Beyond Payments 2023: Card Processing Reviews & Complaints
Agree with our rating?
Founded in May 2017 by the former CEO of Heartland Payment Systems, Beyond Payments is a merchant account provider that is capable of serving nearly any type of business. In addition to payment processing, Beyond Payments offers payroll, point-of-sale, and lending services. The company often refers to itself as “Get Beyond” in its branding, but we will refer to it as Beyond Payments in this review. According to the company’s website, it offers tiered and interchange-plus pricing models The company advertises its own proprietary payment gateway and POS system as well as Tend POS. Beyond Payments uses TSYS as its backend processor.
Before we dive in, here’s a short summary of what we’ll cover:
- Beyond Payments’ various payment processing services.
- The company has received relatively few complaints, but there are some concerning ones.
- There is little information about the Beyond contract available.
- BP also offers B2B and B2G processing.
Beyond Payments Payment Processing
Beyond Payments processes most major debit and credit cards for most business types. Their services include EMV readers and card swipers, POS terminals, mobile solutions, access to a virtual terminal and the Beyond Pay payment gateway, e-commerce solutions including shopping carts, gift cards, Level 2 and Level 3 B2B processing, non-profit focused solutions, recurring billing, payroll solutions, scheduling, hiring, inventory management, and business loans.
Payment Terminals and POS Systems
The company offers an array of payment terminals and Point of Sale (POS) systems tailored to the needs of various industries. These include countertop terminals, mobile solutions, and advanced POS systems, offering businesses the flexibility to choose the hardware best suited for their operations.
Online Payment Gateway
Beyond Payments offers an online payment gateway that allows businesses to securely accept online payments. The gateway is customizable and can be integrated with multiple shopping carts, making it easier for businesses to manage online transactions.
Mobile Payment Solutions
For businesses on the go, Beyond Payments offers mobile payment solutions. This service allows merchants to accept payments through mobile devices, making transactions more convenient for both the business and the customer.
Security and Fraud Protection
Security is a cornerstone of Beyond Payments’ services. The company provides robust security features, including encryption and tokenization, to protect sensitive customer information and to minimize the risk of fraud.
Location & Ownership
Beyond Payments is a registered ISO/MSP of Merrick Bank, South Jordan, Utah, and formerly listed its address as 10507 Timberwood Cir, Louisville, Kentucky 40223 on its website, although the Better Business Bureau profile for the company lists Litchfield Park, AZ 85340-2768. The profile for Above and Beyond Business Tools & Services, Inc. lists another address at 8106 Prospect Ave NE Albuquerque, NM 87110. The current CEO of Beyond Payments is Mike Peters. Robert Carr is the former CEO, and the BBB lists Anna Lam as a founding member of Beyond Payments.
Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Offers tiered and interchange-plus pricing through…
- Complaints & Service: Has received fewer than…
- BBB Rating: Has an “A+” rating with the BBB and has received…
- Sales & Marketing: Does not hire independent sales agents and has not…
Beyond Payments Customer Reviews
Here's What Their Clients Say
|Total Online Complaints||<10|
|Live Customer Support||Yes|
|Most Common Complaint||N/A|
Low Complaint Total
We can find fewer than 10 negative Beyond Payments reviews at this time, but very few of them refer to the company as a ripoff or a scam. The few Beyond Payments reviews we found cite difficult-to-reach customer service and excessive fees; as of now, there is not a common complaint trend that stands out among these reviews.
Beyond Payments Lawsuits
In July 2018, the Securities and Exchange Commission filed a lawsuit against former Beyond Payments CEO Robert Carr and his girlfriend, Katherine M. Hanratty, alleging that the pair engaged in insider trading at the time of Heartland Payment Systems’ sale to Global Payments. In October 2018, the lawsuit reached a settlement, requiring Hanratty to disgorge funds and pay a civil penalty. In 2020 the SEC recommended Carr no longer be allowed to be CEO of any company.
Beyond Payments Customer Support Options
Beyond offers live chat, email, text, and 24/7 phone support. It appears that there are no issues with its customer service at this stage in its growth. At this time, however, Beyond Payments does not qualify as a top-rated payment processor for customer service.
Beyond Payments Customer Service Number
- (888) 480-1571 – Toll-Free Support
Other Support Options
- Live chat
- Support form
Beyond Payments Online Ratings
Here's How They Rate Online
Clean Complaint Record
Beyond Payments has two profiles with the Better Business Bureau. Their own profile has an “A+” and has been accredited since 2021. As Above and Beyond Business Tools & Services, Inc., the company has been accredited with the BBB since March 2018 and is currently showing a grade of “A+”. Both profiles have received 0 complaints in the last 36 months and no informal reviews.
An “A” Performance
Given the company’s complaint total, we agree with the BBB‘s rating at this time. Readers should note, however, that there are reasons to be skeptical of BBB ratings.
Beyond Payments Fees, Rates & Costs
A Closer Look at The Contract
|Monthly & Annual Fees||No|
|Processing Rates||Interchange +|
We are unable to obtain a copy of the standard Beyond Payments contract at this time and the company does not provide details about its pricing on its website. However, the Beyond website does list the following 10 “Beyond Promises”:
- Corporate Responsibility: As a financially independent, employee-controlled company, Beyond is fundamentally committed to transparency and the highest level of ethics in our business practices. We publish and uphold these promises as a core component of our mission and values, knowing they create legally binding rights that the majority of our competitors would never give their customers.
- Protected Pricing: If we don’t provide additional value, we don’t charge additional fees. We will never arbitrarily raise your prices as long as your business methods and transaction volumes don’t change significantly.
- Flexible Contract Terms: You have the freedom to choose the contract length most suitable to your business.
- No-Penalty Termination Rights: You may terminate your contract at any point, without penalty.
- Transparent Statements: You will receive clear billing statements with all charges and fees fully disclosed. Each cost and charging party will be communicated—meaning there will be no hidden fees, surcharges or additional premiums.
- Adaptable Product Solutions: The Beyond team will tailor our versatile product offerings to your specific needs. If necessary and possible, we will use our best efforts to integrate with your current hardware, legacy systems, vendors and competitors.
- Top Security: Every effort will be made to optimize secure practices to protect your business.
- Business Advocates: Our products are backed by individuals in your own community. We employ local sales representatives throughout the United States. The success of your business is important to Beyond’s sales representatives.
- Exceptional Client Support: The Beyond service center, based in Louisville, Kentucky, provides highly effective underwriting, efficient onboarding and personalized customer service.
- A Greater Mission: We have a philanthropic mission to support the post-secondary education of America’s most disadvantaged children through our beneficiary, Give Something Back. Simply by being our client, you help make a difference for students who have faced economic hardship or other adversity such as foster care, homelessness or the incarceration of a parent.
Overall, this is a highly appealing set of guarantees for clients. If the company keeps these promises, its clients will not need to worry about being trapped in non-cancellable contract terms with punitive fees. There is still a chance that Beyond’s per-transaction, monthly, and annual fees are higher than industry averages, but these pitfalls are less of an issue when businesses are free to cancel service.
According to the company’s website, Beyond Payments also provides interchange-plus pricing options to clients. This is the clearest, most transparent pricing available to clients, who should inquire into this option to compare with available tiered pricing alternatives.
Virtual Terminal and Payment Gateway Pricing
In addition to its storefront payment processing services, Beyond Payments also dedicates a portion of its website to advertising its virtual terminal and payment gateway services. However, pricing is not disclosed on either of those services. The website does make it apparent that the company extends its interchange-plus pricing model to transactions made through its virtual terminal as well. Additional rates and fees, including gateway fees, technical support fees, batch fees, and additional transaction rates typically apply to these e-commerce services.
Level 2 and Level 3 Processing Services
In addition to its traditional merchant services, Beyond Payments also advertises that it provides Level 2 and Level 3 processing for B2B and B2G transactions. Level 2 and Level 3 processing rely upon different, lower interchange rates than traditional consumer credit transactions. Accommodating those rates requires different payment processing technology from a merchant account provider to transmit the amount of data required to facilitate the transactions.
Few Contract Complaints
We can find only a handful of client complaints that mention excessive fees or undesirable contract terms from Beyond Payments. At this time, there is no clear indication that Beyond Payments’ contract terms are competitive with the cheapest merchant accounts. If you have any information about the company’s standard contract (including any PCI compliance fees or monthly minimum fees), please share it in the comment section below this review.
Beyond Payments Employee Reviews & Sales Tacitcs
Should You Work For Them?
|Uses Independent Resellers||No|
|Discloses All Important Terms||No|
Inside Sales Team
Like Heartland Payments, Beyond utilizes in-house sales agents and traditional marketing to sell its services. This credit card processor does not maintain a team of independently contracted sales agents, and it offers its W-2 employees the option to buy Beyond Payments stock. We consider this approach to be preferable to using independent sales agents because it demands more accountability from both the company and its agents. We are able to find only a few Beyond Payments reviews that mention misrepresentation or nondisclosure of fees by Beyond’s sales agents.
No Deceptive Advertising
Beyond Payments does not publicly disclose the details of its pricing or contract terms except for a few simple guarantees about fees, and it does not advertise misleading rate quotes. Overall, the company appears to at least adhere to, if not exceed, the standard of transparency set by Heartland. If you suspect that Beyond Payments is charging you undisclosed fees, however, we recommend seeking an independent statement audit to spot hidden charges.
Copyright © 2023 CardPaymentOptions.com, Inc. (Digital Fingerprint: 0d38c6720f0d78a701b74d58653af608). Getting paid to re-write this page? Click here to earn a reward.
Any unauthorized copying and reproduction of the content of this page, including all meta data and computer code, is strictly prohibited. While the information in the above article is believed to be accurate as of its publish date, the author and publisher make no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the contents. The author and publisher shall in no event be held liable to any party for any direct, indirect, punitive, special, incidental or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of this material, which is provided “as is,” and without warranties. Any and all use of trade names and/or marks are for identification purposes only and shall not be construed as a claim of affiliation, or otherwise, with CardPaymentOptions.com, Inc. ("CPO") in any form. The sole purpose of the material presented herein is to alert, educate, and inform readers. It is not intended as legal or financial advice. We may earn revenue if you obtain services from a provider that we recommend. See this page to learn how we support our operations.