Beyond Payments Overview
Payment Processing Solutions and More
Founded in May 2017 by the former CEO of Heartland Payment Systems, Beyond Payments is a merchant account provider that is capable of serving nearly any type of business. In addition to payment processing, Beyond Payments offers payroll, point-of-sale, and lending services. The company often refers to itself as simply “Beyond” in its branding, but we will refer to it as Beyond Payments in this review. According to the company’s website, it offers tiered and interchange-plus pricing models The company advertises its own proprietary payment gateway and POS system as well as Tend POS.
Location and Ownership
Beyond Payments uses TSYS as its backend processor. Beyond Payments is a registered ISO/MSP of Merrick Bank, South Jordan, Utah, and lists its address as 10507 Timberwood Cir, Louisville, Kentucky 40223. Robert Carr is the CEO of Beyond Payments.
Beyond Payments Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Beyond Payments offers tiered and interchange-plus pricing through contracts of varying duration with no early termination fees.
- Complaints & Service: Beyond Payments has received fewer than 10 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Beyond Payments (as Above and Beyond Business Tools and Services, Inc.) has an “A” rating and has received 0 complaints in the past 3 years. The company has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2018.
- Sales & Marketing: Beyond Payments does not hire independent sales agents and has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Beyond Payments
Types of Businesses Served
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.
Beyond Payments Rates, Fees, and Costs
|Virtual Terminal Rate||Interchange-Plus|
|Payment Gateway Fee||Undisclosed|
|Early Termination Fee||None|
|PCI Compliance Fee||Undisclosed|
|Equipment Lease Terms||None|
We are unable to obtain a copy of the standard Beyond Payments contract at this time and the company does not provide details about its pricing on its website. However, the Beyond website does list the following 10 “Beyond Promises”:
- Corporate Responsibility: As a financially independent, employee-controlled company, Beyond is fundamentally committed to transparency and the highest level of ethics in our business practices. We publish and uphold these promises as a core component of our mission and values, knowing they create legally binding rights that the majority of our competitors would never give their customers.
- Protected Pricing: If we don’t provide additional value, we don’t charge additional fees. We will never arbitrarily raise your prices as long as your business methods and transaction volumes don’t change significantly.
- Flexible Contract Terms: You have the freedom to choose the contract length most suitable to your business.
- No-Penalty Termination Rights: You may terminate your contract at any point, without penalty.
- Transparent Statements: You will receive clear billing statements with all charges and fees fully disclosed. Each cost and charging party will be communicated—meaning there will be no hidden fees, surcharges or additional premiums.
- Adaptable Product Solutions: The Beyond team will tailor our versatile product offerings to your specific needs. If necessary and possible, we will use our best efforts to integrate with your current hardware, legacy systems, vendors and competitors.
- Top Security: Every effort will be made to optimize secure practices to protect your business.
- Business Advocates: Our products are backed by individuals in your own community. We employ local sales representatives throughout the United States. The success of your business is important to Beyond’s sales representatives.
- Exceptional Client Support: The Beyond service center, based in Louisville, Kentucky, provides highly effective underwriting, efficient onboarding and personalized customer service.
- A Greater Mission: We have a philanthropic mission to support the post-secondary education of America’s most disadvantaged children through our beneficiary, Give Something Back. Simply by being our client, you help make a difference for students who have faced economic hardship or other adversity such as foster care, homelessness or the incarceration of a parent.
Overall, this is a highly appealing set of guarantees for merchants. If the company keeps these promises, its merchants will not need to worry about being trapped in non-cancellable contract terms with punitive fees. There is still a chance that Beyond’s per-transaction, monthly, and annual fees are higher than industry averages, but these pitfalls are less of an issue when merchants are free to cancel service.
According to the company’s website, Beyond Payments also provides interchange-plus pricing options to merchants. This is the clearest, most transparent pricing available to merchants, who should inquire into this option to compare with available tiered pricing alternatives.
Virtual Terminal and Payment Gateway Pricing
In addition to its storefront payment processing services, Beyond Payments also dedicates a portion of its website that advertises its virtual terminal and payment gateway services. However, pricing on either of those services is not disclosed. The website does make it apparent that the company extends its interchange-plus pricing model to transactions made through their virtual terminal as well. Additional rates and fees, including gateway fees, technical support fees, batch fees, and additional transaction rates typically apply to these e-commerce services.
Level 2 and Level 3 Processing Services
In addition to its traditional merchant services, Beyond Paymentsalso advertises that it provides level 2 and level 3 processing for b2b and b2g transactions. Level 2 and level 3 processing rely upon different, lower interchange rates than traditional consumer credit transactions. Accommodating those rates requires different payment processing technology from a merchant account provider to transmit the amount of data required to facilitate the transactions.
Few Contract Complaints
We can find only a handful of merchant complaints that mention excessive fees or undesirable contract terms from Beyond Payments. At this time, there is no clear indication that Beyond Payments’ contract terms are competitive with the cheapest merchant accounts. If you have any information about the company’s standard contract (including any PCI compliance fees or monthly minimum fees), please share it in the comment section below this review.Are you happy with your Beyond Payments fees? Tell us about them before your go!
Beyond Payments Complaints & Customer Reviews
|Total Online Complaints||<10|
|Live Customer Support||Yes|
|Most Common Complaint||N/A|
Low Complaint Total
We can find fewer than 10 negative Beyond Payments reviews at this time, but none of them refer to the company as a ripoff or a scam. Having been in business for just shy of two years at the time of this review, Beyond is still in its early stages of garnering both positive and negative feedback across consumer protection sites. The few Beyond Payments complaints found cite difficult-to-reach customer service and excessive fees; as of now there is not a common complaint trend that stands out among these reviews.
Beyond Payments Lawsuits
In July 2018, the Securities and Exchange Commission filed a lawsuit against Beyond Payments CEO Robert Carr and his girlfriend, Katherine M. Hanratty, alleging that the pair engaged in insider trading at the time of Heartland Payment Systems’ sale to Global Payments. In October 2018, the lawsuit reached a settlement, requiring Hanratty to disgorge funds and pay a civil penalty. The SEC case against Robert Carr is ongoing, but does not seem to have had any effect on the operations of Beyond Payments at this time.
Beyond Payments Customer Support Options
Beyond offers live chat, email, text, and 24/7 phone support. It appears that there are no issues with its customer service at this stage in its growth. At this time, however, Beyond Payments does not qualify as a top-rated payment processor for customer service.
Beyond Payments BBB Rating Summary
Key Points - BBB
|Product & Service Complaints||0|
|Billing & Collection Complaints||0|
|Advertising & Sales Complaints||0|
|Guarantee & Warranty Complaints||0|
Clean Complaint Record
Beyond Payments (as Above and Beyond Business Tools & Services, Inc.) has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since March 2018. The company is currently showing a grade of “A” based on 0 complaints in the last 36 months. Beyond Payments has not received any negative informal reviews either.
An “A” Performance
Given the company’s complaint total, we agree with the BBB‘s rating at this time. Merchants should note, however, that there are reasons to be skeptical of BBB ratings.
Truth In Marketing & Advertising
|Employs Independent Resellers||No|
|Advertises Deceptive Rates||No|
|Discloses All Important Terms||No|
Inside Sales Team
Like Heartland Payments, Beyond utilizes in-house sales agents and traditional marketing to sell its services. This credit card processor does not maintain a team of independently contracted sales agents, and it offers its W-2 employees the option to buy Beyond Payments stock. We consider this approach to be preferable to using independent sales agents because it demands more accountability from both the company and its agents. We are able to find only a few reviews that mention misrepresentation or nondisclosure of fees by Beyond’s sales agents.
No Deceptive Advertising
Beyond Payments does not publicly disclose the details of its pricing or contract terms except for a few simple guarantees about fees, and it does not advertise misleading rate quotes. Overall, the company appears to at least adhere to, if not exceed, the standard of transparency set by Heartland. If you suspect that Beyond Payments is charging you undisclosed fees, however, we recommend seeking an independent statement audit to spot hidden charges.
About Phillip Parker
Thank you for reading my review. I hope that it has helped you with your research.
Why I'm Qualified to Write About Credit Card Processing and Merchant Account Services
I'm a former credit card processing sales director who left the industry because I didn't like how it takes advantage of small business owners. It feeds like a leech on businesses and thrives by imposing fees that are nearly impossible to comprehend. Seeing a need for change, I left and built this website help business owners better understand the industry, research merchant services providers, and get refunds of excessive merchant account fees. My experience of working "behind the curtain" in the industry, and using that knowledge for good, has resulted in millions of dollars returned to hard-working small business owners as well as enterprise-level companies.
From the time that I starting working in the merchant services industry to when I left to create this website, I've been on the pulse of payments for nearly 15 years. It didn't seem fair to keep this "insider" knowledge to myself. To lift the fog, I've reviewed hundreds of companies, read thousands of user reviews, and learned the pricing tricks of every provider. If you have questions about credit card processing, you can find the answers on this website.