Heartland Payment Systems (heartlandpaymentsystems.com) is a very large merchant account provider headquartered in Edmond, Oklahoma. The company was founded in 1997 and, according to several reports, ranks as the fifth-largest processor in the United States and processes over $80 billion in credit card transactions annually. Heartland was acquired for $4.3 billion by Global Payments in December 2015. It is unclear whether the merged companies intend to absorb the Heartland brand into Global Payments Inc. over time, but for now, Heartland still appears to operate under the Heartland name.
The company made national headlines in 2008 when Heartland’s computer systems were infiltrated by a computer hacker named Albert Gonzalez, who subsequently stole the data of more than 130 million credit cards. While this could have spelled doom for such a prominent company, Heartland responded very quickly to repair the damages and prevent future security breaches. Heartland now regularly updates its security systems and, understandably, takes data security very seriously. Additionally, Heartland seems to have a strongly embedded philosophy of educating merchants about payment processing, even going so far as to dedicating an entire website dubbed the “Merchant Bill of Rights” to fulfilling this purpose.
In October 2017, a judge preliminarily approved a settlement of $2.5 million in a proposed class action lawsuit against Heartland. The plaintiffs in the case alleged that Heartland initially told merchants in June 2014 that it would charge them the same rates for American Express that it charges for Visa and MasterCard. They further alleged that Heartland proceeded to bill them in October 2014 for an “American Express Fee Adjustment” that contradicted the company’s earlier statement as well as the terms of its contract. The settlement has not yet been fully approved.
Heartland Payment Systems Inc. is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Walnut Creek, California, and The Bancorp Bank, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company’s headquarters are located at 3932 S Blvd, Edmond, Oklahoma 73013. The chairman and CEO of Heartland is Tony Capucille.
- Sales & Marketing: Heartland Payment Systems does not appear to hire independent sales representatives but has received some complaints about its sales practices.
- Costs & Contract: Heartland Payment Systems offers a three-year contract through Global Payments with a $295 early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Heartland Payment Systems has received more than 150 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Heartland Payment Systems has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 33 complaints in the past three years.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Heartland Payment Systems