Heartland Payment Systems Overview
Owned By Global Payments
Heartland Payment Systems is a very large merchant account provider headquartered in Edmond, Oklahoma. The company was founded in 1997 and, according to several reports, ranks as the fifth-largest processor in the United States and processes over $80 billion in credit card transactions annually. Heartland was acquired for $4.3 billion by Global Payments in December 2015. It is unclear whether the merged companies intend to absorb the Heartland brand into Global Payments Inc. over time, but for now, Heartland still appears to operate under the Heartland name.
A Commitment to Data Security
The company made national headlines in 2008 when Heartland’s computer systems were infiltrated by a computer hacker named Albert Gonzalez, who subsequently stole the data of more than 130 million credit cards. While this could have spelled doom for such a prominent company, Heartland responded very quickly to repair the damages and prevent future security breaches. Heartland now regularly updates its security systems and, understandably, takes data security very seriously. Additionally, Heartland seems to have a strongly embedded philosophy of educating merchants about payment processing, even going so far as to dedicate an entire website dubbed the “Merchant Bill of Rights” to fulfilling this purpose.
Heartland Payment Systems Headquarters and Leadership
Heartland Payment Systems Inc. is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Concord, California, and The Bancorp Bank, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company’s headquarters are located at 3932 S Blvd, Edmond, Oklahoma 73013. Jeffrey S. Sloan is the CEO and Cameron Bready is the president of Global Payments.
Heartland Payment Systems Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Heartland Payment Systems offers a three-year contract through Global Payments with a $295 early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Heartland Payment Systems has received more than 150 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Heartland Payment Systems has no rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 47 complaints and 3 reviews in the past 4 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Heartland Payment Systems does not appear to hire independent sales representatives but has received some complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Heartland Payment Systems
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.