UPDATE 3/29/2018: The TransFirst website now redirects to the TSYS Merchant Solutions homepage, and it appears that TransFirst no longer exists as an independent brand. We therefore will no longer update this review. See our TSYS Merchant Solutions review for up-to-date information about this company.
TransFirst Merchant Services (transfirst.com) is one of the largest merchant account providers in the credit card processing industry. In April 2016, TransFirst was fully acquired by TSYS, and the companies now operate under a combined brand name. Prior to its acquisition, TransFirst boasted an annual processing volume upwards of $30 billion thanks to a sizable merchant customer base. TransFirst not only markets merchant services under its own brand but also under Independent Sales Organizations (ISOs), one of which used to be called Merchant Express or Merchant Accounts Express. The company was founded in 1995 and although its corporate headquarters is found in Hauppauge, New York, TransFirst operates another major office in Broomfield, Colorado. TransFirst is sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank of Walnut Creek, California, by Synovus Bank of Columbus, Georgia, and by Deutsche Bank of New York as its acquiring banks. John Shlonsky is the senior executive vice president of TSYS and is in charge of the combined TSYS/TransFirst operation.
- Sales & Marketing: TransFirst appears to hire independent sales agents and has received a low-to-moderate number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Costs & Contract: TransFirst appears to offer a three-year contract through TSYS with an early termination fee ranging from $250 to $500.
- Complaints & Service: TransFirst has received more than 120 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: TransFirst has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 107 complaints to its profile in the past three years.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With TransFirst