The Original Money Transfer Service
Western Union is a money transfer and communications company based in Meridian, Colorado. Founded in 1851, Western Union originally rose to power as a widely used telegraph service before adding its money transfer feature in 1871. In the late 1980s, Western Union shifted its primary focus from communications to financial services, eventually doing away with telegram delivery entirely. In 1995, the company was acquired by First Data, another large, Colorado-based financial services company. First Data spun Western Union off into its own company in 2006, and Western Union now operates as an independent entity.
Western Union Payment App
As the inventor of the wire transfer, Western Union is primarily known for its bank transfer, money order, bill payment, and gift card services. However, the company launched a Business Solutions department in 2010 and has recently entered the mobile payments market through a self-branded app. Western Union now offers the ability for businesses to send and accept international ACH payments online through its WU EDGE service, and its app allows users to schedule wire transfers to most Western Union locations. It has also launched a sub-brand called “Speedpay” that offers various billing solutions for small businesses.
Western Union Location and Ownership
Western Union is headquartered at 7001 E. Belleview, Denver, CO 80237. Hikmet Ersek is the CEO of Western Union.
Western Union Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Western Union offers variable transfer fees on a large number of transfer types with no long-term contracts.
- Complaints & Service: Western Union has received over 1,000 of public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Western Union has a “C-” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 974complaints and 86 reviews in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Western Union does not appear to employ independent sales representatives and has received a low number of complaints about its sales tactics.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Western Union