Compatible with Most Major Online Shopping Carts
Amazon Payments is an electronic payment service that allows Amazon.com customers to pay for purchases on other websites by using their Amazon.com account. Amazon customers simply store their credit card and shipping information in their Amazon Payments account and then can checkout on all Amazon Payments-enabled websites without having to enter payment information again. The service is similar to PayPal in that customers can either pay with the information stored in their accounts or enter payment information during the checkout process. The service is also sometimes called “Amazon Login and Pay.”
A Discontinued Mobile Payment Service
On August 13, 2014, Amazon launched a new service called Amazon Local Register. Similar to Square, the service utilized a free app and a swiper that could be plugged into phones or tablets to enable merchants to accept payments. Amazon Local Register has since been discontinued.
A Single E-Commerce Umbrella
This Amazon Payments review is only going to focus on the Amazon Payments business account used by merchants for accepting payments from customers. At the time of our last update, Amazon offered two different services called “Checkout by Amazon” and “Amazon Simple Pay” that served separate business types. Since then, Amazon Simple Pay was discontinued, and Checkout by Amazon was discontinued in April 2017. Amazon now seems to group all of its e-commerce checkout options under the name “Amazon Pay.”
Amazon Payments Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Amazon Payments charges 2.9% plus $0.30 for domestic transactions and 3.9% plus $0.30 for cross-border transactions.
- Complaints & Service: Amazon Payments has received more than 30 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: The Better Business Bureau does not maintain a dedicated profile for Amazon Payments.
- Sales & Marketing: Amazon Payments does not hire independent sales representatives and fully discloses its pricing.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Amazon Payments