UPDATE 3/15/2019: FrontStream was acquired by Marlin Equity Partners in May 2018. The company continues to operate under the name FrontStream in the non-profit sector, but its conventional merchant services division is now called FastTransact. FrontStream does not sell credit card processing services anymore; rather, it links FastTransact’s payment processing to FrontStream’s donor management tools. We will therefore only review FastTransact from a merchant services perspective. See our FastTransact review for up-to-date information about this company.
Founded in 2007, FrontStream (frontstream.com) is a merchant account provider that appears to be a reseller of merchant accounts provided by Chase Paymentech, Elavon, First Data, and TSYS. In the past two years, the company has radically shifted its focus away from traditional merchant services in order to provide an all-in-one payment fundraising platform for non-profits and corporations. This new emphasis appears to be accompanied by some new executive leadership at the company as well as a new location in Cambridge, Massachusetts. FrontStream also appears to have once operated under the name of Direct Technology Innovations (DTI).
Although Frontstream claims that its corporate headquarters is at 100 Cambridge Park Drive, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02140, the BBB lists two other possible locations for the company. One is at 673 Woodland Square Loop SE Ste 401, Lacey, Washington 98503, while the other is at 11480 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 300, Herndon, Virginia 20191. FrontStream Payments, Inc. is a registered ISO/MSP of Chase Paymentech Solutions, LLC; First National Bank of Omaha of Omaha, Nebraska; BMO Harris Bank, N.A. of Chicago, Illinois; Deutsche Bank of New York, New York; and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. of Walnut Creek, California. William C. Wood is listed as the CEO and president of FrontStream.
- Sales & Marketing: FrontStream appears to hire independent sales representatives but has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Costs & Contract: FrontStream offers separate pricing plans for its online fundraising services as well as traditional merchant account contracts.
- Complaints & Service: FrontStream has received fewer than 10 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: FrontStream has two profiles with the Better Business Bureau, with one receiving an “A+” and the other receiving a “B-.”
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With FrontStream