2Checkout (2Checkout.com & 2CO.com) is an electronic payment service (merchant account alternative) founded in 2000 that allows online merchants to accept credit card payments from their customers. Also called “2CO,” 2Checkout offers similar services to those of PayPal, Google Checkout, and Amazon Payments with at least one major difference: unlike the others, 2Checkout does not solicit the merchant’s customer to sign up for a 2Checkout account and simply lets the customer pay by using a credit or debit card (among a few other options). 2Checkout was acquired by an e-commerce company called Avangate in April 2017, but the combined organizations will continue operating as 2Checkout going forward. For the purposes of this 2Checkout review, we’ll be focusing on the company’s credit card and debit card processing services.
2Checkout focuses its service solely on providing online payment options to small and mid-size businesses and claims to have much lower shopping cart abandonment rates than its competitors. This narrow focus also allows 2Checkout’s services to be more feature-rich and centered on the needs of online sellers. The one feature that lacks with 2Checkout is a virtual terminal, unless your business is a non-profit. Therefore, as a default setting, merchants cannot use 2Checkout to enter credit card information by hand. Merchants who wish to use the virtual terminal will need to contact their 2Checkout account representative.
2Checkout customers can choose from eight different payment methods, 15 languages and 87 different currencies. 2Checkout also serves merchants in 25 other countries outside of the U.S. 2Checkout’s U.S. headquarters can be found at 855 Grandview Avenue, Suite 110, Columbus, Ohio 43215. The founder and chairman of 2Checkout is Alan Homewood, while the CEO is Ken Benvenuto.
- Sales & Marketing: 2Checkout does not hire independent sales agents and has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Costs & Contract: 2Checkout offers a month-to-month agreement with no early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: 2Checkout has received more than 50 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: 2Checkout has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 45 complaints in the past three years.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With 2Checkout