Authorize.net May Have Overcharged You
If you accepted credit cards through Authorize.net or any other credit card processing company between 2017 and 2019, recent changes to the law may entitle you to refunds of certain debit card and credit card processing errors and overcharges. See this post to find out if your were among the businesses affected and to learn how you can get your money back.
Payment Gateway Provider
Contrary to popular belief, Authorize.Net is not primarily a merchant account provider or a credit card processor. Instead, Authorize.Net is what is known in the merchant services industry as a “payment gateway.” This means that the company provides software and applications that route credit card payments from the point of sale to the actual credit card processor. Payment gateway providers like Authorize.Net are an additional but necessary service if a merchant wishes to use a virtual terminal, website shopping cart, or some mobile processing applications.
Authorize.Net is also a preferred option for its FreshBooks integration capabilities. Though the company specializes in gateway services, it partners with resellers to provide merchant service accounts to businesses. Working with resellers makes rates, fees, and other facets of a contract negotiable, which is an important consideration for any merchant considering Authorize.Net to set up those services.
Acquisition and Location
Authorize.Net was founded in 1996 and acquired by CyberSource in 2007, and then both CyberSource and Authorize.Net were acquired by Visa in 2010. Michael Walsh is the CEO of CyberSource, which is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Authorize.Net Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Authorize.Net offers variable contract terms that depend on the reseller’s pricing for its payment gateway.
- Complaints & Service: Authorize.Net has received more than 100 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Authorize.Net has an “A+” rating and has received 84 complaints and 27 reviews in the past three years. The company has been accredited by the BBB since 2009.
- Sales & Marketing: Authorize.Net is partnered with a large number of resellers and has received some complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Authorize.Net
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.