Flint Mobile Overview
Mobile Phone Processing Through Stripe
Founded in 2011, Flint is a mobile phone payment processing app that utilizes Stripe as its backend payment processor. Flint’s main innovation is that it does not require a connected card reader in order to accept credit cards. Instead, Flint uses your smartphone’s built-in camera to scan, encrypt, and securely process each customer’s credit card number. These payments are processed through a connected Stripe account and are charged Stripe’s standard per-transaction fee of 2.90% plus $0.30.
February 2016 Flint Shutdown
In its original form, Flint had its own acquiring bank and offered extremely competitive pricing in addition to its unique processing method. In February 2016, however, Flint abruptly stopped boarding new merchants and advised existing merchants to switch over to Stripe. This sudden shutdown came with no clear information about the company’s future and left thousands of users stuck with a non-functioning app. At the time, Flint’s extremely poor management of this situation and complete disregard for clear communication or transparency compelled us to caution merchants against working with Flint.
Flint Relaunch and Due, Inc.
In the years since that shutdown, Flint has relaunched itself as a mobile and e-commerce payment processing app integrated with Stripe. It also features a copyright notification from Due, Inc. on its website, which indicates that it is either a DBA or subsidiary of Due. However, that web domain is no longer functioning, making the status of Flint’s relationship with Due uncertain. Due is headquartered at 201 Cowper Street, Palo Alto, California, and John Rampton is the founder and CEO of Due.
Flint Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Flint offers 3 month-to-month plans through Stripe with no termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Flint has received fewer than 10 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Flint has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 0 complaints in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Flint does not appear to hire independent sales representatives and has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Flint
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.