|Sales & Marketing|
|Costs & Contract|
|Complaints & Service|
MOCA Payment Systems (mocapayments.com) is a new Canadian sales arm of the U.S.-based company Encore Payment Systems. In fact, MOCA’s website is basically identical to the website of Momentum Payment Systems, another Encore DBA, and MOCA is an abbreviation of “Momentum Canada.” MOCA is based out of Montréal, Québec, but Encore is based out of Addison, Texas. Encore was founded in 2004. MOCA Payment’s overall rating is based on our Encore Payment Systems review due to the fact that the two companies share ownership. MOCA is an authorized ISO/MSP of MasterCard International and is a registered ISO of Global Payments in Canada. The CFO of MOCA is Blake Pyle.
Also see our reviews of this company’s other known DBAs:
|MOCA Products and Services||Industries Served|
This section is covered in the Encore Payment review.
- Ethically questionable marketing tactics.
- Use of multiple business names/DBAs.
- “Hiring mill” recruiting strategy of Independent Sales Agents (ISAs) with high turnover.
- Agents appear to receive higher commissions for selling expensive contracts and rates.
- Underwriting policies allow for excessive fees and contract terms.
- Markets expensive and non-cancellable equipment leases.
MOCA Payment uses the same merchant account agreement as Encore. An older version is available below. Merchants have reported even more expensive contract terms than those shown in the linked document.
- Pricing will vary by merchant based on business type and sales agent.
- Standard contract includes three- or four-year service agreement
- Early Termination Fee (ETF) of $195 but some merchants have reported ETFs of $450 or more
- Equipment leases often have a four-year commitment and cannot be cancelled without paying the full lease amount, often in the thousands of dollars (leasing equipment is optional)
This section is covered in the Encore Review.
- Company has received a moderate-to-high number of complaints for time in business.
- Numerous complaints have been filed by former employees and agents.
- Common complaints include expensive and non-cancellable equipment leases, and undisclosed/”hidden” fees.
Related: Best Processors For E-Commerce
MOCA Payment Systems does not have a Better Business Bureau report because the company is based in Canada. However, it does not appear that MOCA’s business practices differ significantly from those of its U.S.-based DBAs. We have therefore assigned Encore’s BBB rating to MOCA. See the Encore Payment Systems review for full details on this company’s BBB complaints.
* Denotes CPO-adjusted BBB score
Leave your review of MOCA Payment Systems in the comment section below:
- Find The Best Merchant Account For Your Type of Business
- Best EMV Card Terminals
- How To Report Bad Processors
- Fight Your Early Termination Fee
- Best Processors For Quickbooks Integration
- Beat Them At Their Own Game: How To Negotiate The Lowest Rates
Top All-Purpose U.S. Processors
Copyright © CardPaymentOptions.com (Digital Fingerprint: 0d38c6720f0d78a701b74d58653af608). Getting paid to re-write this page? Click here to earn a reward.
Disclaimer: While the information in the above article is believed to be accurate as of its publish date, the author and publisher make no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the contents. The author and publisher shall in no event be held liable to any party for any direct, indirect, punitive, special, incidental or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of this material, which is provided “as is,” and without warranties. Any and all use of trade names and/or marks are for identification purposes only and shall not be construed as a claim of affiliation, or otherwise, with CardPaymentOptions.com, Inc. ("CPO") in any form. The sole purpose of the material presented herein is to alert, educate, and inform readers. It is not intended as legal or financial advice.