8/4/2019 Update: As of this update, it has become apparent that Smart Choice Payments has been absorbed into the Velocity, LLC brand. The company’s website redirects visitors to Velocity’s. Merchant’s should defer to our review of Velocity, LLC as such. The review below reflects all data pertaining to North American Processing Payments as of May 28, 2019. While this review will remain intact for reference purposes, it will no longer be updated.
A Company of Many Names
Headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon, Smart Choice Payments is a merchant account provider that offers credit card processing for most domestic business types. The company is a DBA of Wholesale Merchant Processing and of First Choice Payments, and it also appears to be a DBA of North American Processing Solutions.
Discontinued and Newly Launched Brands
According to a complaint on our Payment Systems Corporation review, Smart Choice Payments, First Choice Payments, and North American Processing Solutions are subsidiaries of Payment Systems Corporation, which rates as one of the worst merchant account providers we have ever reviewed. Payment Systems Corporation has been out of business for years, and it appears that First Choice Payments and Wholesale Merchant Processing have also gone out of business in the past two years.
Based in Oregon
Todd McCartney is listed as the president of Wholesale Merchant Processing, Smart Choice Payments, and American Payment Systems. All three companies are headquartered at 10250 SW Greenburg Rd. Ste. 200, Portland, Oregon 97223. Smart Choice Payments is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Walnut Creek, California.
Smart Choice Payments Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Smart Choice Payments offers a three-year contract with an early termination fee of $495.
- Complaints & Service: Smart Choice Payments has received more than 20 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Smart Choice Payments has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 23 complaints and 8 reviews in the last three years.
- Sales & Marketing: Smart Choice Payments appears to hire independently contracted agents and has received a moderate number of complaints about its sales team.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Smart Choice Payments