CoCard (cocard.net) is a company whose exact role is difficult to determine due to a complex set of partnerships with other payment processors and merchant services providers. After calling CoCard corporate headquarters to get more information, this reviewer was given several different phone numbers of local offices/agents and directed to call them. Each time this reviewer asked the person at CoCard HQ if they could answer a few simple questions and to send me a merchant account application, I was told that only a local office/agent could help me.
Upon calling the phone numbers that were given, this reviewer was less than impressed with the level of professionalism demonstrated by the agents. None answered the call by identifying themselves as a CoCard representative/office, and a couple agents seemed confused when asked if they represented CoCard Merchant Services. Three of the agents seemed to have difficulty with the English language, and it took several attempts to find out if they did in fact represented CoCard, which it turned out they did. Eventually, I was able to reach an agent who was able to answer my questions and promised to email a merchant account application, which was never received.
After several hours of research and telephone calls, I was able to piece together that CoCard is a sales organization partnered with National Processing Company (NPC) and Fifth Third Bank, and that First Data supplies the merchant accounts that CoCard agents sell. It appears that CoCard’s main role is recruiting and managing independent sales agents who market and sell the merchant accounts on CoCard’s behalf. CoCard also appears to operate under the name Strategic Payment Systems.
CoCard is a registered ISO/MSP of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. of Walnut Creek, California, and First National Bank of Omaha of Omaha, Nebraska, with headquarters located at 3401 West End Ave., Ste. 306, Nashville, Tennessee 37203. Jenny Allen is listed as the general manager at CoCard.
- Sales & Marketing: CoCard appears to hire independent sales representatives and has received some complaints about its sales team.
- Costs & Contract: CoCard appears to offer contract terms that vary depending on the agent and office involved.
- Complaints & Service: CoCard has received more than 20 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: CoCard has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received six complaints in the past three years.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With CoCard