SUPPLEMENTAL UPDATE 11/2/2015 – Flagship Merchant Services (AKA: iPayment) has repeatedly made hostile attempts to force the removal of this review. These have included intimidation through bullying and threats of litigation under false pretenses as well as an illegitimate DMCA claim filed with our host, which was rejected on the grounds that it was a “guise” to suppress fair use of a trademark. It is our opinion that such actions reveal the depths at which Flagship’s executives will stoop in an attempt to suppress constitutionally protected free speech that is critical of their business practices. We view these actions as not only highly unethical, but as a demonstration of their unwillingness to correct the problems that cause merchant complaints and, instead, a preference for aggressive strong-arm retribution tactics. If you have been a victim of such threats or bullying, please detail your experience in the comment section below.
Flagship Merchant Services (cardservicesales.com & flagshipmerchantservices.com) is a large merchant account sales organization based out of Charlestown, Massachusetts. The company was founded in 2001 and appears to have grown rapidly in the last 10 years. Flagship is a reseller of processing services primarily provided by First Data and iPayment but appears to handle the customer service of its accounts in-house. Flagship’s website and online advertising boasts that it has been a top-rated credit card processor on TopTenReviews.com for eight consecutive years, but it is unclear at this time how a business qualifies for that honor.
Flagship’s Acquiring Bank is Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. of Walnut Creek, California. Sean McEvoy is the company’s director of operations, while its director of sales is Mark D’Ambrosio.
- Sales & Marketing: Flagship Merchant Services does not appear to hire independent sales representatives but has received a moderate-to-high number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Costs & Contract: Flagship Merchant Services offers a month-to-month contract through First Data with no early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Flagship Merchant Services has received more than 150 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Flagship Merchant Services has a “B+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 175 complaints in the past three years.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Flagship Merchant Services