Square Register Overview
An All-In-One Credit Card Terminal for Retailers
Also known as “Square Point of Sale,” Square Register is a point-of-sale (POS) hardware device offered by Square. The term “Square Register” originally referred to the company’s iPad-based point of sale software application, but in October 2017, Square unveiled a proprietary device called Square Register designed to accept swiped and EMV payments made in-store via debit and credit cards. Intended as a cloud-based replacement for traditional cash registers, Square Register should be thought of as an all-in-one credit card terminal for retail businesses. Square Register can be attached to peripheral equipment to accommodate a number of industry-specific checkout configurations.
Is Square Holding Your Funds Right Now?
Thousands of merchants have had their payments frozen by Square. If you’re one of them, then you might find these resources helpful:
Not To Be Confused With Square for Retail
Square still offers its traditional Square Stand and add-on hardware components for iPad, iPhone, and Android under the name “Square for Retail,” but it’s clear that the company is now promoting Square Register as the preferred option for brick-and-mortar retailers. Merchants who opt for the company’s original iPad-based product lineup should be prepared for the possibility that support and development for those products may be phased out in the near or distant future.
Square Register Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Square Register hardware costs $799 upfront or $39 per month for 24 months. As of November 1, 2019, merchants are charged a rate of 2.6% plus $0.10 per transaction.
- Complaints & Service: Square Register has received more than 2,000 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Square Register (as Square) has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 2,591 complaints and 368 reviews in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Square Register does not hire independent sales agents and has received a low number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Square Register
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.