Square’s Hardware and Software Suite for Retailers
Square for Retail is a POS application offered by Square. Square for Retail uses the same hardware as Square Register and shares many of the same features. However, Square for Retail is a paid monthly service that bundles additional retail-specific services along with the Square Register app so as to better serve conventional brick-and-mortar retailers.
Not to Be Confused With Square Register or Square Terminal
“Square for Retail” refers to Square’s original iPad-plus-stand payment terminal plus a whole host of hardware and software products, including a bar code scanner, receipt printer, and cash drawer. “Square Register” is a newer all-in-one POS product that represents the future of Square’s POS strategy. “Square Terminal” is a cordless, portable payment processing terminal that connects to Wi-Fi or Ethernet. One notable difference between the traditional Square Register app and Square for Retail is that Square for Retail’s checkout flow is based on a smart search feature rather than selecting items from a prebuilt inventory display. Square for Retail is only available for the iPad.
Square for Retail Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Square for Retail offers a month-to-month contract with fixed per-transaction pricing and no early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Square has received more than 3,000 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Square has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 2,916 complaints and 356 reviews in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Square for Retail does not hire independent sales agents and displays its pricing for anyone to view.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Square for Retail