Square’s Hardware and Software Suite for Retailers
Square for Retail is a POS application offered by Square. Square for Retail uses the same hardware as Square Register and shares many of the same features. However, Square for Retail is a paid monthly service that bundles additional retail-specific services along with the Square Register app so as to better serve conventional brick-and-mortar retailers.
Not to Be Confused With Square Register or Square Terminal
“Square for Retail” refers to Square’s original iPad-plus-stand payment terminal plus a whole host of hardware and software products, including a bar code scanner, receipt printer, and cash drawer. “Square Register” is a newer all-in-one POS product that represents the future of Square’s POS strategy. “Square Terminal” is a cordless, portable payment processing terminal that connects to Wi-Fi or Ethernet. One notable difference between the traditional Square Register app and Square for Retail is that Square for Retail’s checkout flow is based on a smart search feature rather than selecting items from a prebuilt inventory display. Square for Retail is only available for the iPad.
Headquarters and Ownership
Jack Dorsey is the founder and current CEO of Square Inc. It is headquartered at 1455 Market St #600 San Francisco, CA 94103.
Square for Retail Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Square for Retail offers a month-to-month contract with fixed per-transaction pricing and no early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Square has received more than 3,000 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Square has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 2,916 complaints and 356 reviews in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Square for Retail does not hire independent sales agents and displays its pricing for anyone to view.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Square for Retail