An Integrated Payments Solution
Braintree is a merchant account provider based in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 2007, Braintree markets its services primarily to e-commerce merchants, subscription-based businesses, and merchants that key in all of their credit card transactions.
Braintree’s payment gateway offers virtually automatic PCI Compliance by storing the credit card data off of the merchants’ systems and on its own secured servers. The system allows cards to be recharged or refunded without re-entering the card information and enables merchants to set up recurring charges for periodic billing purposes, such as subscriptions and memberships. Braintree is also considered to be one of the best multi-currency merchant accounts, allowing U.S.-based merchants to accept international payments in 134 local currencies with settlement in 44 different currencies.
A PayPal Subsidiary
Braintree was purchased by PayPal in September 2013 for $800 million. The acquisition also included Venmo, Braintree’s mobile cash transfer service. Braintree uses First Data for its card processing network, but merchants appear to deal with Braintree exclusively for the service of their accounts. Braintree is located at 222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 800, Chicago, Illinois 60654, and the company’s acquiring bank is Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., Concord, California. Bill Ready is the CEO of Braintree.
Braintree Payments Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Braintree offers a month-to-month agreement with no early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Braintree has received more than 40 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Braintree has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 7 complaints and 9 reviews in the past 3 years.
- Sales & Marketing: Braintree does not hire independent sales agents and has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Braintree