Simple, Robust E-Commerce Products
Shopify is an Ottawa, Ontario-based merchant account provider that specializes in e-commerce solutions for small businesses. Founded in 2005, the company offers a broad range of services for online businesses, including debit and credit card processing through an online shopping cart, website creation and customization, marketing and SEO solutions, payment gateway integration, and an app store with a large number of additional features. Tobias Lütke has been the company’s CEO since 2008.
Integrated Payment Processing
In mid-2013, Shopify launched its own payment processing platform called Shopify Payments, which is powered by Stripe and is the primary payment option advertised by the company. Merchants can set up their own merchant accounts and payment gateways through third parties (such as PayPal or Authorize.net) and integrate these accounts into Shopify, but they will be subject to additional transaction fees. The company also offers an in-store point of sale (POS) system compatible with the iPad for merchants with retail locations.
The Shopify app store offers a huge base of add-ons and plugins for merchants, and an early 2013 rollout of Shopify 2.0 also brought with it some new and interesting features. All of the company’s merchants will receive support for over 70 payment gateways, an SSL-secured shopping cart, their own domain name, and unlimited bandwidth. Merchants who sign up for Shopify Payments will receive real-time payment tracking and a chargeback recovery service, which alerts merchants to chargebacks, provides customer contact information, and even prepares customized order information to help merchants dispute chargebacks. As for the Shopify app store, additional features available to all merchants include accounting integration, email marketing integration, digital download support, rewards programs, and social media integration.
Mobile Phone Payments
The company also offers a service called Shopify Mobile, which allows its users to accept payments using an iPhone and a mobile card reader. Shopify Mobile is available to existing Shopify customers at no extra cost except for a variable per-transaction fee.
Shopify Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Shopify offers multiple pricing plans that operate on a month-to-month basis and do not charge an early termination fee.
- Complaints & Service: Shopify has received more than 50 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Shopify has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 255 complaints and 75 reviews in the past three years. The company has been accredited by the BBB since 2012.
- Sales & Marketing: Shopify does not hire independent sales agents and has not received any complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Shopify