Electronic Merchant Systems Overview
Payment Processing for U.S.-Based Merchants
Electronic Merchant Systems is an Ohio-based merchant account provider that first opened in 1987. The company specializes in providing a variety of merchant services to U.S. small businesses. Electronic Merchant Systems is owned by or appears to also do business as the Francis David Corporation, and it seems that one of the two entities is a direct processor.
Headquartered in Ohio
Electronic Merchant Systems is a registered ISO/MSP of BMO Harris Bank, Chesapeake Bank, Esquire Bank, and Merrick Bank with headquarters located at 5005 Rockside Road, Penthouse 100, Independence, Ohio 44131. Dan Neistadt is listed as the company’s CEO.
“Phantom Debt” Scheme
In March 2015, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) filed a complaint against Global Payments, Electronic Merchant Services, Frontline Processing, and Pathfinder Payment Solutions in connection with a “phantom debt” scheme that allegedly attempted to collect nonexistent debts from consumers. The CFPB’s complaint alleges that these four payment processors facilitated transactions for multiple debt collection companies owned by Marcus Brown and Mohan Bagga. According to the complaint, these debt collection companies used robocalls to target millions of consumers, who they then threatened in order to obtain debt payments that were not actually owed or that didn’t even exist. The CFPB further alleges that Global Payments “ignored numerous red flags of the debt collectors’ illegal conduct, including consumer disputes that described the scheme and communication problems with the debt collectors.” A federal judge dismissed the case in August 2017 due to the CFPB’s failure to adhere to his instructions.
Electronic Merchant Systems Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: Electronic Merchant Systems offers an 18-month contract with an early termination fee of $595.
- Complaints & Service: Electronic Merchant Systems has received more than 70 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: Electronic Merchant Systems has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received 93 complaints in the past three years.
- Sales & Marketing: Electronic Merchant Systems hires independent sales agents and has received a moderate number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With Electronic Merchant Systems
Electronic Merchant Systems Statement Analyzer
Find hidden fees, pricing errors, and overcharges in your Electronic Merchant Systems merchant account statement. Not with Electronic Merchant Systems? That's ok, we can find excessive fees in any credit card processing statement. We've already found $1,156,834 in hidden fees this year! Submit a recent statement to try it out for free!
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.