First American Payment Systems Overview
First American Payment Systems May Have Overcharged You
If you accepted credit cards through First American Payment Systems or any other credit card processing company between 2017 and 2019, recent changes to the law may entitle you to refunds of certain debit card and credit card processing errors and overcharges. See this post to find out if your were among the businesses affected and to learn how you can get your money back.
The Backbone of Many Low-Rated Providers
First American Payment Systems is a merchant account provider based in Fort Worth, Texas, that claims to have been in business since 1990. First American Payment Systems also operates under several other business names and trademarks including FirstAdvantage, FirstFund ACH, Merimac Capital, Secur-Chex, FirstView, and FirstPay.net. It is suggested in numerous merchant reports that the company is under the same ownership as, or operates, the following merchant services companies: Appstar Financial, Eliot Management Group, Trans Tech Merchant Group, Summit Merchant Solutions, Apex Merchant Group, Trinity Merchant Group, Heritage Payment Solutions, GoEmerchant, Certified Payment Processing, iATS Payments, Govolution, and Velocity Payment System. A company representative has stated that First American Payment Systems does not operate Appstar Financial, Trinity Merchant Group, or Heritage Payment Solutions.
First American Payment Systems Location and Ownership
First American Payment Systems is a registered ISO/MSP of Fifth Third Bank, Wells Fargo Bank, N.A, and MetaBank. First American Payment Systems was acquired in July 2014 by an investment group led by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. In January 2016, First American purchased the entire portfolio of independent sales organization accounts and associated contracts from Chase Commerce Solutions, the payment processing arm of JPMorgan Chase. Neil Randel is the founder and CEO of First American Payment Systems who are headquartered at 100 Throckmorton St Suite 1800, Fort Worth, TX. It is unclear whether Neil Randel is related to Nathan Randel, the principal for Trinity Merchant Group, but it seems likely given the two companies’ geographic proximity.
First American Payment Systems Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: First American Payment Systems offers a three-year contract with an early termination fee of up to $495. The company also provides a platform for e-commerce payments called FirstPay.Net.
- Complaints & Service: First American Payment Systems has received more than 200 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: First American Payment Systems has an “A+” rating and has received 84 complaints and 19 reviews in the past 3 years. The company has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2015.
- Sales & Marketing: First American Payment Systems hires independent sales agents and has received a moderate number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With First American Payment Systems
Our unbiased reviews are supported, in part, by helping you find highly rated merchant accounts. You can learn more here.