The Backbone of Many Low-Rated Providers
First American Payment Systems is a merchant account provider based in Fort Worth, Texas, that claims to have been in business since 1990. First American Payment Systems also operates under several other business names and trademarks including FirstAdvantage, FirstFund ACH, Merimac Capital, Secur-Chex, FirstView, and FirstPay.net. It is suggested in numerous merchant reports that the company is under the same ownership as, or operates, the following merchant services companies: Appstar Financial, Eliot Management Group, Trans Tech Merchant Group, Summit Merchant Solutions, Apex Merchant Group, Trinity Merchant Group, Heritage Payment Solutions, GoEmerchant, Certified Payment Processing, iATS Payments, Govolution, and Velocity Payment System. A company representative has stated that First American Payment Systems does not operate Appstar Financial, Trinity Merchant Group, or Heritage Payment Solutions.
First American Payment Systems Payment Gateway
It appears that First American Payment Systems offers its own payment gateway and API called 1stPayGateway. 1stPayGateway is a registered LLC located at 800 Cooper St Ste 500, Camden, NJ, and has been registered since 2012 with The Better Business Bureau.
Purchase By Deluxe
In June 2021, First American Payment Systems was purchased by Deluxe for $960 million. Deluxe is a large company that provides business solutions of many kinds, serves 4.8 million active small business customers and more than 4,600 financial institution clients, and already had its own payment processor, Deluxe Payments. It appears that First American will continue to operate under its own brand under the Deluxe umbrella.
First American Payment Systems Location and Ownership
First American Payment Systems is a registered ISO/MSP of Fifth Third Bank, National Association; and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. In January 2016, First American purchased the entire portfolio of independent sales organization accounts and associated contracts from Chase Commerce Solutions, the payment processing arm of JPMorgan Chase. First American is headquartered at 100 Throckmorton St Suite 1800, Fort Worth, TX. Neil Randel is the founder and CEO of First American Payment Systems. It is unclear whether Neil Randel is related to Nathan Randel, the principal for Trinity Merchant Group, but it seems likely given the two companies’ geographic proximity.
First American Payment Systems Review Table of Contents
- Costs & Contract: First American Payment Systems offers a three-year contract with an early termination fee of up to $495. The company also provides a platform for e-commerce payments called FirstPay.Net.
- Complaints & Service: First American Payment Systems has received more than 200 public complaints.
- BBB Rating: First American Payment Systems has an “A+” rating and has received 60 complaints and 24 reviews in the past 3 years. The company has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2015.
- Sales & Marketing: First American Payment Systems hires independent sales agents and has received a moderate number of complaints about its sales practices.
- Rates & Fees: How Merchants Got The Best Rates With First American Payment Systems